- In our manuscript, we report on the growth of high quality Sr2NiWO6 single crystals.
- Our single crystals enabled us to do the first magnetization measurements of Sr2NiWO6 along different crystallographic directions.
- The key point is to use a synthesis route for the polycrystalline precursors that differs from previous reports.
Single crystals of the double perovskite Sr2NiWO6 were synthesized via SrCl2 flux growth using high quality, phase-pure polycrystalline Sr2NiWO6 as precursor material. This high quality precursor enabled us to grow large and phase pure crystals with sizes up to 1 mm ×1 mm in the basal plane and octahedral morphology. We measured the temperature dependence of the magnetization along the c-axis and along the ab plane. The analysis of the data allows a precise determination of the effective magnetic moment and the Curie–Weiss temperature. Sr2NiWO6 orders antiferromagnetically at TN=54 K as revealed by magnetization and specific heat data.
- A1. Characterization;
- A1. Crystal structure;
- A2. Growth from solutions;
- A2. Single crystal growth;
- B2. Perovskites;
- B2. Magnetic materials