- A novel tool electrode setup was developed for EDM coring of SiC ingot/wafer.
- EDM coring of 2 inch SiC ingot/wafer by rod electrode was carried out successfully.
- EDM by electrostatic induction feeding method was applied for rough machining.
- Multi-discharge EDM by electrostatic induction feeding method was developed.
- Multi-discharge EDM improves both the machining rate and the surface integrity.
A new technique of EDM coring of single crystal silicon carbide (SiC) ingot was proposed in this paper. Currently single crystal SiC devices are still of high cost due to the high cost of bulk crystal SiC material and the difficulty in the fabrication process of SiC. In the manufacturing process of SiC ingot/wafer, localized cracks or defects occasionally occur due to thermal or mechanical causes resulted from fabrication processes which may waste the whole piece of material. To save the part of ingot without defects and maximize the material utilization, the authors proposed EDM coring method to cut out a no defect ingot from a larger diameter ingot which has localized defects. A special experimental setup was developed for EDM coring of SiC ingot in this study and its feasibility and machining performance were investigated. Meanwhile, in order to improve the machining rate, a novel multi-discharge EDM coring method by electrostatic induction feeding was established, which can realize multiple discharges in single pulse duration. Experimental results make it clear that EDM coring of SiC ingot can be carried out stably using the developed experimental setup. Taking advantage of the newly developed multi-discharge EDM method, both the machining speed and surface integrity can be improved.
- Electrical discharge machining (EDM);
- EDM coring;
- Multi-discharge EDM;
- Single crystal silicon carbide (SiC);
- Electrostatic induction feeding;
- SiC wafer
If you need more information about single crystal, please visit our website:http://www.qualtiymaterial.net, send us email at email@example.com.